The Ceredo-Kenova Memorial Public Library, 1200 Oak St., Kenova, WV, has been in its present location since Dec. 15, 1984. The building was constructed with Federal Jobs Program funding, local fund-raising by volunteers, a grant obtained by the Wayne County Library Board and W.V. Library Commission, plus substantial assistance from the First Bank of Ceredo and Alex Booth, Jr., who made a memorial gift in honor of his father. Mr. Samuel Colvin was instrumental in the effort that made the new building possible.
The C-K Library was established due to the efforts of the Woman's Club of Kenova. That organization founded the library in a building in the 1800 block of Pine Street in Kenova. The club's efforts began in 1948-49 and the library opened in 1950 with five children's books, 400 adult titles and volunteer librarians. On April 8, 1952, the library moved into the C-K War Memorial Building and remained there until 1984.
The C-K Library currently houses more than 32,000 books, book cassettes, CD books, DVD's, videos and magazines. Public computers, which were initially provided by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in 1999, are available as is a free Wi-Fi connection. A meeting room is available to the public. Additional adult and children's programming is offered throughout the year.
The Fort Gay Public Library, 8608 Rear Broadway, Fort Gay, WV, began as a Community School book depository. It was originally located in a building that used to be a store. The services expanded to include an Adult GED Program and the library collection was built through books donated by the Cabell County Public Library.
In the early 1970's, the Wayne County Library Board applied for a $10,000 grant for a building from the West Virginia Library Commission. Plans were made to construct one of the "instant libraries" built in communities throughout West Virginia. The project was completed in 1973 with the help of S.B. Noe, a local contractor. In 2003, an expansion project was completed that provided additional room for a children's area.
The Fort Gay Public Library currently houses more than 10,000 books, book cassettes, CD books, DVD's, videos and magazines. Public computers and Wi-Fi are available to the public. Children's programming is offered throughout the year. The library serves many elementary school children during the school year with weekly class visits.
The Wayne Public Library is currently located at 325 Keyser Street, Wayne, WV. The building has a long history beginning in 1902 as a Masonic Hall and subsequently a school then an apartment building.
The Wayne Women's Club, located on the corner of Keyser Street, started and cared for the first library in Wayne in 1963. At that time, there was only one shelf of books. With the increased size of the collection, the library was moved to the basement of Wayne Town Hall in 1972. The book count was increased to 2,000 at that time.
The Wayne Public Library was moved to its present location in 1989 when Omer and Sadie Bunn donated the building for use as a library. The Wayne Women's Club was instrumental with the expansion and renovations of the structure.
The Wayne Public Library currently houses more than 26,000 books, book cassettes, CD books, DVD's, videos, and magazines. Public computers and Wi-Fi are available to the public. Genealogy reference materials, including family history books, census records, and cemetery registers pertaining mainly to Wayne County, are available as well. Children's programming is offered throughout the year. A meeting room is available during regular library hours.